Monday, April 18, 2016

The Origin of a Journey

Six years ago, I joined ancestry.com to start some genealogical work for my grandma Campbell.
One common story she and others told was so interesting and tragic that I just had to find out what happened. Peter Campbell was my great-grandfather's big brother. During WWI, he was taken to a Scottish prison camp as a conscientious objector, where he later perished. I searched and searched to no avail for the name of the prison camp he was confined to.
Knowing several of my family members had Masonic ties, I wrote to the Grand Lodge of Scotland, looking for leads. One kind lodge member wrote back and referred me to the Lodge of St. Kilda, which was closer to the Isle of Skye where my family came from. A second gentleman even located a few of my existing Campbell relatives, some of whom still live in the ancestral homes of my family. 
Finally, the day after I booked my trip to Scotland, I found the names of two prisons Peter was confined to, along with so much more of the story. A distant relative there had done some family genealogy and knew, along with the prison names, the dates he was at each, ACTUAL LETTERS written by Peter to his dear sister, and the location of his final resting place. 
The timing was uncanny and providential—a simple message telling me I am going to the right place at the right time.
Uncovering the people of my past has revealed many ways in which their life events, whether big or small, epic or insignificant, have shaped my own life and identity. Had Peter not objected to war, he may or may not have enjoyed a longer life. But more importantly, the impact his consequent imprisonment and death had on his family was so profound that it became the single most life changing event of those who remained. If not for Peter’s sacrifice, my family wouldn’t be here, and I wouldn’t be on my way to Scotland this week.
I’m excited to visit new relatives who have "gathered the clan,” and welcomed me in the warmest, friendliest manner; and I’m humbled to say goodbye to past relatives who worked hard and survived a great deal, so that I, and others in my family could enjoy the good lives we have.
What began as my small foray into family history is about to be “Summer’s Spring in Scotland,” reconnecting to distant Campbell family ties, and the stories they left behind.

2 comments: